Alternative Medicine Fraud
Libertarians want untrammeled freedom to buy and practice "alternative medicine". Yet they claim to oppose fraud and the vast majority of the multi-billion dollar "alternative medicine" industry is fraudulent and wasteful if not harmful.
- Life Extension (5 links)
- Cryogenics, Peter Theil's belief in transfusing blood, massive supplement use and a host of other scientifically unsupported practices are all attractive frauds for libertarians and other individualists.
- A Cautionary Tale of Stem Cell Tourism [More...]
- While there have been reports in medical literature of patients who developed tumors after stem cell injections, few patients have been as open about their quest for a cure, the money they paid and the tragic consequences as Mr. Gass, a 66-year-old former chief legal counsel for Sylvania who lives in San Diego, has been.
- FDA ban nearly wiped out deaths, poisonings from ephedra
- "A 13-year tally of deaths and poisonings from ephedra show a spectacular decline after the U.S. Food and Drug Administration banned the sale of weight loss products containing the herb in 2004... Using data from the National Poison Data System, the researchers found that ephedra poisonings peaked at 10,326 in 2002 and then began a significant decline to 180 by 2013."
- Herbal Remedy, Aristolochic Acid, Causes Cancer: Natural Products Aren’t Always Safe [More...]
- Aristolochia, a Chinese and European herbal "medicine", has been found to be the cause of epidemics of kidney cancer in Europe and Asia. After hundreds or thousands of years of use.
- New York Attorney General Targets Supplements at Major Retailers [More...]
- "The authorities said they had conducted tests on top-selling store brands of herbal supplements at four national retailers -- GNC, Target, Walgreens and Walmart -- and found that four out of five of the products did not contain any of the herbs on their labels. The tests showed that pills labeled medicinal herbs often contained little more than cheap fillers like powdered rice, asparagus and houseplants, and in some cases substances that could be dangerous to those with allergies."
- Skeptical Medicine [More...]
- A very nice introductory site by John Byrne, M.D. about why critical thinking about medicine is so important and how we fail to do it.
- The very worst version of the sham known as “right-to-try” is poised to become law [More...]
- "... powerful forces are backing right-to-try, including the Koch brothers and Vice President Mike Pence... Right-to-try is only a little about helping patients. It’s far more about dismantling the FDA and giving drug and device manufacturers more freedom to market drugs and devices with much less testing."
No quotations found in this category.