Capitalist Corruption Of Government
Government corruption by capitalists has long been pervasive. Capitalists do it because it is profitable for them to engage in wars, control regulation, and give themselves more power. Campaign funding and advertising, a revolving door between the public and private sectors of the influential and other sorts of payoffs for politicians, their staffs and other government employees are a worldwide problem. Government exists to serve the populace, not primarily capitalists.
- ALEC (7 links)
- The American Legislative Exchange Council, founded, led, and funded in part by the Koch brothers, is leading the class war by corporatists and plutocrats to disenfranchise ordinary people. ALEC opposes unions, voting rights, regulation, environmental law and other democratic countervailing power. ALEC relies on corrupt direct access to legislators, handing them already-written bills.
- California Officials Announce Record Settlement In Dark Money Case [More...]
- The Fair Political Practices Commission called the Center to Protect Patient Rights (CPPR) and Americans for Responsible Leadership (ARL) parts of the "Koch Brothers' Network" of dark money organizations. They were fined $1 million for aa $11 million donation.
- Designed to Fail: Why Regulatory Agencies Don’t Work [More...]
- "... concentrating all legislative, executive and judiciary authority in one regulatory agency just makes it easier for it to be corrupted by the industries it regulates." Followed by suggestions for reforms.
- Obstructing Regulation And Regulatory Capture (29 links)
- Libertarians side with capitalist obstruction of harm-reducing regulations, including deregulation. Addictive drugs (such as tobacco), clean air, workplace safety, pollution reduction, prohibition of lead and mercury contamination, food safety, global warming, etc. They seem unaware that reducing some harmful freedoms can result in huge benefits (including freedoms) for others.
- Politicians And Billionaires: Pledging Allegiance To Each Other In Secret [More...]
- "The revelations today about Mitch McConnell, Tom Cotton, Joni Ernst, and Cory Gardner flying to a luxury resort in California and pledging loyalty to the Koch agenda are breath-taking, especially the detailed information about the Koch brother front groups' electoral strategies. It confirms all of your most cynical fears about the behind-the-scenes deal making between politicians and their financiers."
- The Poison Papers [More...]
- The Poison Papers catalogue both the secret concerns of industry and regulators over the hazards of pesticides and other chemicals and their efforts to conceal those concerns.
- The Second Half of Watergate Was Bigger, Worse, and Forgotten By the Public [More...]
- The monumental extent of corruption of foreign governments by corporations. An excerpt adapted from Kickback: Exposing the Global Corporate Bribery Network.
- Why We Fight Wars [More...]
- Paul Krugman: "If you’re a modern, wealthy nation, however, war — even easy, victorious war — doesn’t pay. And this has been true for a long time." Except some profit in the military-industrial complex.
No quotations found in this category.