Charles and David Koch
From Critiques Of Libertarianism
- 'Libertarian' Maker-Hero Charles Koch Formed His Own Group To Protect Oil Industry's Government Handouts [More...]
- The Institute for Energy Research/American Energy Alliance, founded and funded by Charles Koch, has fought to protect special tax breaks that benefit fossil fuel producers.
- As Reason’s editor defends its racist history, here’s a copy of its holocaust denial “special issue” [More...]
- The January and February 1976 issues featured a who's who of American holocaust deniers and "revisionist history" by a mix of conspiracy theorists. A number of them are still on the Kochtopus payroll.
- Boycott Koch [More...]
- A large activist page opposed to the multifarious political activities of the Koch brothers. Has a connected blog.
- Charles Koch's Brain Shuts Down The Holocaust [More...]
- "Under Koch’s watch, LeFevre hired one of the most notorious Holocaust deniers to head up the new Rampart College history department: James J. Martin, who later served as an editorial director at neo-Nazi leader Willis Carto’s “Institute for Historical Review,” the largest and the worst of all America’s Holocaust denial outfits."
- Conservative Donors Pump $1 Billion A Year Into Climate Denying Groups, Study Finds [More...]
- "Organizations that actively block efforts to address climate change are funded by a large network of conservative donors to the tune of nearly $1 billion a year [...]" Describes new "dark money" techniques for concealing funding sources, especially from the petrochemical industry.
- Dark Money: The Hidden History of the Billionaires Behind the Rise of the Radical Right (book, online) (1 link)
- When libertarian ideas proved decidedly unpopular with voters, the Koch brothers and their allies chose another path. If they pooled their vast resources, they could fund an interlocking array of organizations that could work in tandem to influence and ultimately control academic institutions, think tanks, the courts, statehouses, Congress, and, they hoped, the presidency.
- Debunking CATO Institute Propaganda: Koch-Founded Outfit a GOP Bad Ideas Mill, Home to John Yoo and Rupert Murdoch [More...]
- Mark Ames debunks CATO claims of being a principled critic of Bush II, as opposed to the GOP as the Democrats, not stacked with Republicans, and home of "independent" scholars
- Democalypse 2014 - South by South Mess: Ad of Brothers [More...]
- The Daily Show with John Stewart satirizes a Koch Industries greenwashing advertisement. Accurate and hysterically funny.
- Errors and Emissions: Could Fighting Global Warming Be Cheap and Free? [More...]
- The idea that economic growth and climate action are incompatible may sound hardheaded and realistic, but it’s actually a fuzzy-minded misconception. If we ever get past the special interests and ideology that have blocked action to save the planet, we’ll find that it’s cheaper and easier than almost anyone imagines.
- Ferguson is our “libertarian moment,” but not in the way some libertarians want you to believe [More...]
- Libertarians identify Ferguson as needing police reforms: but the problem is in large part that libertarian proposed reforms from Robert Poole 30 years ago have caused the problems.
- How Citizens United Kept the Koch Brothers Out of Jail [More...]
- "According to Palast, the real agenda behind the Supreme Court case was to keep the notorious Koch brothers out of jail for illegal corporate donations they had made to Republican campaigns. In other words, the ruling decriminalized extensive lawbreaking by the Republican Party’s favorite billionaires."
- How Koch Industries Is Scamming America: Investigation Highlights a Global Web of Tax Avoidance [More...]
- "A liberal super PAC has uncovered as many as 610 Koch subsidiaries in 17 known global tax havens." That's the tip of the iceberg.
- Koch Brothers Exposed: 2014 Edition [More...]
- "We've reissued Koch Brothers Exposed: 2014 Edition to shine a light on the Koch Brothers. We’re now delving even deeper into where their money is going, who their money is hurting, and how much they are making during this whole process leading up to the 2014 Elections." (An hour-long film.)
- Koch brothers' higher-ed investments advance political goals [More...]
- “The [Koch] network is fully integrated, so it’s not just work at the universities with the students, but it’s also building state-based capabilities and election capabilities and integrating this talent pipeline... So you can see how this is useful to each other over time... No one else has this infrastructure. We’re very excited about doing it.”
- Koch Exposed [More...]
- The Center for Media and Democracy, publisher of ALEC Exposed, brings you this unique wiki resource on the billionaire industrialists and the power and influence of the Koch cadre and Koch cash.
- Koch foundation proposal to college: Teach our curriculum, get millions [More...]
- The Kochs gave money to Florida State University’s economics department on the conditions that they align the curriculum with libertarianism, partly control faculty hires, and keep the libertarian department chair.
- Koch High: How The Koch Brothers Are Buying Their Way Into The Minds Of Public School Students [More...]
- "But with Youth Entrepreneurs, the Koch pipeline for creating a new generation of liberty advancers now starts early: A student can take the YE course in high school, participate in the YE Academy to earn scholarship money and then use that money to pay for a degree from a Koch-funded university."
- Koch Industries: Secretly Funding the Climate Denial Machine [More...]
- An index and a short video detailing the enormous funding of climate denialism by the Koch brothers through a huge network of front groups..
- Koch's Anger Translator
- Charles Koch wrote a ludicrous screed in the Wall Street Journal, a stand on dignity to excuse decades of plutocratic meddling in politics. A pseudonymous commenter "Mr." served as Anger Translator at Noahpinion.
- Kochtopus (51 links)
- An umbrella term for a huge number of organizations and publications founded, funded, or controlled by Charles and David Koch over roughly 40 years. It includes most of the libertarian organizations and publications you've heard of: the Libertarian Party, the Cato Institute, Reason Magazine, State Policy Network, etc. and many major conservative organizations such as ALEC.
- Libertarians’ scary new star: Meet Bryan Caplan, the right’s next “great” philosopher [More...]
- "You might be tempted to dismiss Bryan Caplan as just another Koch-funded libertarian hack. But I think he may well be the next great libertarian philosopher. Caplanism may represent the future of that near-oxymoron, libertarian thought." (sarcasm)
- Politicians And Billionaires: Pledging Allegiance To Each Other In Secret [More...]
- "The revelations today about Mitch McConnell, Tom Cotton, Joni Ernst, and Cory Gardner flying to a luxury resort in California and pledging loyalty to the Koch agenda are breath-taking, especially the detailed information about the Koch brother front groups' electoral strategies. It confirms all of your most cynical fears about the behind-the-scenes deal making between politicians and their financiers."
- Republic of Science or Empire of Ideology? [More...]
- Koch is making a sustained, multi-hundred-million dollar effort to push the academic economics profession toward a libertarian ideology. This is a "Republic of Science" to the same degree that North Korea is a "Democratic People's Republic of Korea".
- Right-wing billionaires purchasing own professors [More...]
- "The Kochs invest in higher education by donating money with ideological strings attached."
- Sons of Wichita: How the Koch Brothers Became America's Most Powerful and Private Dynasty (book)
- The first biography of the 4 Koch brothers and their rise to billionaire plutocracy. Explains the interlocking system of domination of the political apparatus by Charles and David.
- Study Confirms Tea Party Was Created by Big Tobacco and Pollutocrat Kochs [More...]
- "A new academic study confirms that front groups with longstanding ties to the tobacco industry and the billionaire Koch brothers planned the formation of the Tea Party movement more than a decade before it exploded onto the U.S. political scene. Far from a genuine grassroots uprising, this astroturf effort was curated by wealthy industrialists years in advance."
- The Billionaires Tea Party Documentary [More...]
- Behind the Tea Party movement’s rhetoric of ‘freedom’ versus ‘socialism’ lies a highly co-ordinated network of shadow groups, funded by the likes of billionaire ideologues Charles and David Koch.
- The Brothers Koch: Family Drama and Disdain for Democracy [More...]
- For the Kochs, buying our democracy, and maybe killing it is pure self-interest. A favorable review of Sons of Wichita: How the Koch Brothers Became America’s Most Powerful and Private Dynasty.
- The Koch 130: How the billionaire brothers have spread their web of influence across every sector of American society. [More...]
- "This project, an effort to track the breadth of the Kochs' philanthropic influence, builds on several years of reporting, news stories, as well as data from tax filings and the organizations' websites."
- The Koch Network: A Cartological Guide [More...]
- A diagram of the secret flow of money among the Koch brothers’ labyrinthine network of political groups
- The Making of the Kochtopus: How the billionaire brothers built a political network that rivals the GOP itself. [More...]
- "The brothers' representatives often go out of their way to minimize their role in the politics outfits they fund. They also insist that there is an arm's length relationship between Koch Industries and the brothers' political endeavors. But past and present Koch employees occupy key roles in the political organizations, and, before Freedom Partners assumed this responsibility, it was Koch Industries that organized the famous biannual donor conferences where tens of millions are raised to influence politics."
- UnKoch My Campus [More...]
- "The Kochs and their vast network of front groups they fund work tirelessly to undermine the issues many students today care about: environmental protection, worker’s rights, healthcare expansion, and quality public education, to name just a few."
- What Do the Koch Brothers Want?
- "The agenda of the Koch brothers is to repeal every major piece of legislation that has been signed into law over the past 80 years that has protected the middle class, the elderly, the children, the sick, and the most vulnerable in this country." Based on the 1980 Platform of the Libertarian Party.
- Who Are the Koch Brothers and What Do They Want? [More...]
- Senator Bernie Sanders explains "how successful David Koch and like-minded billionaires have been in moving the Republican Party to the extreme right" over the past 34 years. "Our great nation must not be hijacked by right-wing billionaires like the Koch brothers."
- Why we talk about the Kochs [More...]
- "The Kochs threaten to destroy American democracy, regardless of their views. And, as it happens, their extreme and self-interested positions are taking over the Republican Party."
- Yes, the Kochs fund groups out of self-interest [More...]
- "Men who make their living emitting carbon pay thinkers to argue against government regulation of carbon."
Neoliberals in the innermost shell (like the Koch brothers) use libertarians at farther removes (like the Tea Party) not always to realize their agenda directly, but to push political discourse to the hard right.
David Golumbia, "Cyberlibertarians’ Digital Deletion of the Left"
Libertarianism is supposed to be all about principles, but what it’s really about is political expedience. It’s basically a corporate front, masked as a philosophy.
Thomas Frank in Jane Mayer, "Dark Money: The Hidden History of the Billionaires Behind the Rise of the Radical Right" pg. 123.