Democracy in Chains: The Deep History of the Radical Right's Stealth Plan for America
MacLean, Nancy. 2017. Democracy in Chains: The Deep History of the Radical Right's Stealth Plan for America. Viking.
Look up the TITLE using the links in the sidebar.
Search by TITLE:
Search by ISBN:
What is wrong with using Amazon? Browse with Amazon, but try to buy elsewhere. If you buy from Amazon, please donate towards unionization.
“This sixty-year campaign to make libertarianism mainstream and eventually take the government itself is at the heart of Democracy in Chains. . . . If you're worried about what all this means for America's future, you should be” – NPR
- Jennifer Burns' harsh review of Nancy MacLean's Democracy In Chains [More...]
- Admires the objectives, but concludes "Ultimately it is not a book of scholarship, but of partisanship, written to reinforce existing divides and confirm existing biases."
- Kochonomics: The Racist Roots of Public Choice Theory [More...]
- A review of Democracy in Chains: The Deep History of the Radical Right's Stealth Plan for America.
- Meet the Economist Behind the One Percent’s Stealth Takeover of America [More...]
- "Nobel laureate James Buchanan is the intellectual linchpin of the Koch-funded attack on democratic institutions, argues Duke historian Nancy MacLean"
- The Libertarians Have Been Laser Focused on Destroying Our Social Security System for Almost 40 Years
- Social Security is the largest pot of money the world has ever known. Thus, the right wing has targeted it, certain that the plutocrats will scoop up the dropped money. James Buchanan was advising them since before the Reagan era.
- The Master Class on the Make [More...]
- "In marking Calhoun’s political philosophy as the crucial antecedent of public choice theory, Tabarrok and Cowen unwittingly confirmed what critics have long maintained: libertarianism is a political philosophy shot through with white supremacy. Public choice theory, a technical language nominally about human behavior and incentives, helps ensure that blacks remain shackled."
- When Politics Drives Scholarship [More...]
- An even, academic review of the controversies over Democracy in Chains: The Deep History of the Radical Right's Stealth Plan for America. He judges mixed results: some conclusions not sufficiently justified, but not debunked either.
Libertarianism has always claimed to be scrupulously colorblind.... If the original sin of American history is slavery, then the original sin of conservatism and libertarianism is silence in the face of segregation.
Jennifer Burns, "Jennifer Burns' harsh review of Nancy MacLean's Democracy In Chains", pg. 644.