Social democracy combines a universal welfare state and collective bargaining schemes with a capitalist economy. It usually refers to the highly successful social models and economic policies prominent in Western and Northern Europe, such as the Scandinavian nations.
- Conservatives Can’t Decide If Nordic Socialism Is a Totalitarian Nightmare or Actually Capitalist [More...]
- “Actually, according to the data, the best government is that which governs most” is no small concession!
- Conservatives Can’t Decide If Nordic Socialism Is a Totalitarian Nightmare or Actually What Is Living and What Is Dead in Social Democracy? [More...]
- "The common theme and universal accomplishment of the neo-Keynesian governments of the postwar era was their remarkable success in curbing inequality... It was social democracy that bound the middle classes to liberal institutions in the wake of World War II..."
- Mixed Economy (20 links)
- Existing markets are important parts of our mixed economies. The most socialist or communist economies in the world still use mixed markets, though they are more weighted towards central direction. Likewise the most capitalist economies are still weighted towards central direction within corporations.
- My Socialism [More...]
- An intriguing and sensible explanation of a socialism based on the values freedom, voice, and equality. Uses a Basic Income. "The general principle here is to empower people to reject exploitative capitalism (if they want)."
- Norway’s gargantuan sovereign wealth fund, by the numbers [More...]
- This is how society should be run. Not to prop up billionaires, but to support everybody. "Since its founding in the late 1990s, the fund has amassed its vast wealth with the intention of paying for pensions in future generations, when Norway’s population ages and its oil wells run dry."
- People’s Policy Project [More...]
- People’s Policy Project (3P) is a think tank founded in 2017 by Matt Bruenig. The primary mission of 3P is to publish ideas and analysis that assist in the development of an economic system that serves the many, not the few. Funded through Patreon, to avoid the compromises typically demanded by monied interests.
- Social Wealth Funds (9 links)
- Also known as Sovereign Wealth Funds. An alternative for public ownership of wealth that has been widely used around the world.
- The Choice Isn’t Between Capitalism or Socialism [More...]
- "All countries practice a mix of both, and the U.S. isn’t the free-market leader some might think. "
- The Nordic Myths That Never Seem to Die [More...]
- Conservatives (including libertarians) can't decide whether (a) Nordic countries are good because they are more capitalistic than the US or (b) Nordic countries are bad because they are more socialist than the US. They are completely wrong.
- The Public Really Can Own Everything [More...]
- The genius of modern finance has been to create corporate ownership arrangements that allow basically anyone, including the government, to own shares of any company in any sector while being as involved (or uninvolved) as they want to be in steering the company. A federal social wealth fund, like the one I advocate, should be able to take advantage of modern shareholding institutions to expand public ownership into every aspect of the US economy.
- The Second Bill Of Rights: FDR's UNfinished Revolution-- And Why We Need It More Than Ever (book)
- FDR proposed 8 economic rights: employment, with a living wage; food, clothing and leisure; farmers' rights to a fair income; freedom from unfair competition and monopolies; housing; medical care; social security; education. A foreshadowing of the Capability Approach.
- Unlearning The History Of Capitalism [More...]
- "Imagine if every time somebody expressed support for capitalism, they were immediately screamed down with death tolls from Colonial India, the Transatlantic Slave Trade and the worst of US foreign policy." A plea for the end of cold-war reflexive aversion to the word socialism.
- Venezuela (2 links)
- Often claimed as a failure of Socialism, even though it is a European-style Social Democracy with a Mixed Economy. Its failure is much better explained by kleptocracy, oil crisis, currency mismanagement, and US economic interference.
- Why Property Is Theft and Why It Matters [More...]
- "The reason I bring up the fact that property is theft is because most actually-existing libertarian arguments are premised upon the idea that so-called laissez-faire capitalism is somehow voluntary and liberty-respecting. It is, of course, neither."
- Worker Owned Cooperatives (5 links)
- A socialist model that ranges from wholly worker owned to codermination (worker representation on corporate boards.) A long history of successful businesses, including the German model of 40% worker representation on all corporate boards. They compete quite well with capitalist ownership.
If socialism is discredited by the failure of communist regimes in the real world, why isn’t libertarianism discredited by the absence of any libertarian regimes in the real world? Communism was tried and failed. Libertarianism has never even been tried on the scale of a modern nation-state, even a small one, anywhere in the world.
Michael Lind, "The Failure of Libertarianism: Why Economic Freedom Alone Cannot Deliver a Better Future"