Government holds allodial title.
Allodial title refers to land ownership by occupancy and defense of the land, something common to all nations. It is a part of Sovereignty. That's what makes the government the ultimate owner, and why it has rights of taxation, expropriation, escheat and eminent domain. Allodial title is a fact that is required for any nation (or anarchist equivalent) to persist in the face of other competitors for the land. Libertarians may call this coercive, but it is a fact that all property and rights are coercive this same way. What is ordinarily thought of as real property in the US and other common law nations is held in "fee simple".
This term has also been used for scams claiming to provide documents (aka Land Patents) that will protect you from land taxes.
- Taxation is rent; non-payment of taxes is squatting.
- Allodial title means that government is the ultimate owner of the land. As the property owner, government can do as it sees fit with the land, including who resides there and makes use of it. The idea that "taxation is theft" attempts to blame the government when the non-payer is at fault.
- Allodial title (Wikipedia) [More...]
- Allodial title constitutes ownership of real property (land, buildings, and fixtures) that is independent of any superior landlord. Allodial title is related to the concept of land held "in allodium", or land ownership by occupancy and defense of the land.
- Allodial Title Law and Legal Definition [More...]
- "Allodial title is a real property ownership system where the real property is owed free and clear of any superior landlord. In this case, the owner will have an absolute title over his or her property. Property owned under allodial title is referred as allodial land. Allodial lands are the absolute property of their owner, and are not subject to any service or acknowledgment to a superior. In allodial lands there will not be any control by a superior landlord."
- Why Taxation Is Not Theft [More...]
- "Just as all political debates inevitably end with someone making a Hitler comparison, all debates with libertarians sooner or later involve the claim that taxation is theft...."
No quotations found in this category.