From Critiques Of Libertarianism
- Karl Polanyi Explains It All [More...]
- Robert Kuttner explains how Polanyi's The Great Transformation: The Political and Economic Origins of Our Time is more relevant now than ever. "Contrary to libertarian economists from Adam Smith to Hayek, Polanyi argued, there was nothing “natural” about the free market."
- The Great Transformation: The Political and Economic Origins of Our Time (book, online) (1 link)
- Explains the socially constructed nature of "free markets", as opposed to "spontaneous order". A major work of economic history.
- The Power of Market Fundamentalism: Karl Polanyi's Critique (book) (1 link)
- "Polanyi teaches us that periods of prosperity and rising living standards [...] were a direct result of democratic gains in politics and civil society. The greatest prosperity in living memory in Europe and the United States came during the social democratic moment -- in the 1950s and 1960s -- when the constraints on business were the greatest."
- The Return of Karl Polanyi [More...]
- Karl Polanyi's The Great Transformation is an analysis of the enormously destructive and seductive nature of the market fundamentalist worldview that has been so influential over the last three decades.
No quotations found in this category.