In the USA, "militia" is a euphemism for private, nongovernment, nonprofessional armies created for political purposes. Many of these militia's members are libertarians. Private armies like these militias are frequently a tool of coercion: after the Civil War, private armies played a major role in instituting Jim Crow by terrorizing blacks. Hitler and Mussolini both rose to power through their private armies.
- Prohibiting Private Armies At Public Rallies: A Catalog Of Relevant State Constitutional And Statutory Provisions [More...]
- "This report identifies state constitutional provisions and/or statutory prohibitions that target similar private military and paramilitary conduct in each of the 50 states. Although the lawsuit filed in Charlottesville sought injunctive relief as an important tool for preventing a repeat of the unlawful paramilitary activity engaged in by the defendants in Virginia, these state laws also can be used proactively by localities across the country as a basis for lawful time, place, and manner restrictions designed to minimize violence at future rallies."
- Schaeffer Cox And His Alaska Militia: The Classic Sovereign-citizen Saga, From Laughable To Lethal [More...]
- "The plan, which members of Cox’s Peacemakers Militia reportedly code-named “241” (two for one), was created as a potential retaliatory response to any attempt by law enforcement to arrest Cox, who had an outstanding bench warrant for not attending a trial over a misdemeanor weapons charge."
- State Fact Sheets Addressing The Rise Of Unlawful Private Paramilitaries [More...]
- "ICAP has created fact sheets for all 50 states explaining the laws barring unauthorized private militia groups and what to do if groups of armed individuals are near a polling place or voter registration drive." Also: Fact Sheet: Protecting Against Voter Intimidation.
It may be laid down as a primary position, and the basis of our system, that every Citizen who enjoys the protection of a free Government, owes not only a proportion of his property, but even of his personal services to the defence of it, and consequently that the Citizens of America (with a few legal and official exceptions) from 18 to 50 Years of Age should be borne on the Militia Rolls, provided with uniform Arms, and so far accustomed to the use of them, that the Total strength of the Country might be called forth at a Short Notice on any very interesting Emergency[...]
George Washington, "George Washington, Sentiments on a Peace Establishment"