From Critiques Of Libertarianism
A strategy of old-time racist conservatism combined with libertarian mummery and Historical Revisionism. Adherents include(d) Murray Rothbard, Lew Rockwell, Ron Paul, Charles Murray, the Ludwig von Mises Institute, and now perhaps Donald Trump.
- A new powerhouse for ridiculous GOP economics [More...]
- Move over, Milton Friedman: Make room for tiny Northwood University and the Austrian economist Ludwig von Mises.
- Charles Murray (6 links)
- A Harvard paleoconservative and paleolibertarian professor who is notorious for attempting to put academic veneers on old racist ideas, publishing them as popular books to bypass peer review. His racist work has been thoroughly debunked.
- Hans-Hermann Hoppe (13 links)
- One of the more bizarre Austrian philosophers. A hypocrite for working as a state professor and for accepting ACLU defense of his professional freedom of speech. "There can be no tolerance toward democrats and communists in a libertarian social order. They will have to be physically separated and removed from society."
- How Did We Get Here? Or, Why Do 20 Year Old Newsletters Matter So Damn Much? [More...]
- Steve Horwitz denounces the paleolibertarian strategy of Ron Paul, Lew Rockwell and Murray Rothbard. "What the media has in their hands is only the tip of the iceberg of the really unsavory garbage that the paleo turn produced back then."
- Lew Rockwell (7 links)
- A libertarian writer, activist, and founder and former president of the Ludwig von Mises Institute. He considers the Kochtopus the arch-nemesis of True Libertarianism by Rockwell, so his site runs a lot of criticism of the Kochs. An associate of Murray Rothbard.
- Lew Rockwell (RationalWiki) [More...]
- "Despite the fact that he consistently makes clear his opinions on the topic, no one yet has had the audacity to call him a white supremacist and let him know his so-called praxeology for fixing the economy is basically fascism with bad bow ties instead of jackboots."
- Ludwig von Mises Institute (8 links)
- Llewellyn Rockwell's shrine to Ludwig von Mises. A minor competiitor and rival to the Cato Institute, with a separate source of funding. Specializing in comically extreme Austrian Economics and support for the neo-Confederate Lost Cause movement.
- Murray Rothbard (36 links)
- A leading Austrian economist, student of Ludwig von Mises. A very scholarly and prolific crank author who takes Austrianism to its logically absurd ends.
- Ron Paul (24 links)
- A libertarian congressman (and perennial long-shot presidential candidate) renowned for kooky racist, isolationist, goldbug and Austrian beliefs. Not to mention conservative civil and reproductive rights ideas 50 years out of date. Father of senator Rand Paul. AKA: "Crazy Uncle Liberty".
- Ron Paul (RationalWiki) [More...]
- "Now, there is general irony about the fact that a person who is anti-government is working for the government at all, but with Paul it gets a little... deeper."
- Where did Donald Trump get his racialized rhetoric? From libertarians. [More...]
- A brief overview of the history of nakedly racist Rothbardian paleolibertarianism and and his fellow travellers. These ideas have been adopted wholesale by Donald Trump.
To solve the problem that few Americans are interested in small government, Rothbard argued that libertarians needed to align themselves with people they might not like much in order to expand their numbers. “Outreach to the Rednecks” was needed to make common cause with far-right Christian conservatives who hated the federal government, disliked drugs and wanted to crack down on crime.
Matthew Sheffield, "Where did Donald Trump get his racialized rhetoric? From libertarians."