Scientific research and statistical information gathering are vastly better performed by government, and underproduced by private actors. There’s a clear pipeline from government-funded discoveries to private-sector innovations. These are classic public goods.
- Bill Gates: Only Socialism Can Save the Climate, ‘The Private Sector is Inept’ [More...]
- "Gates admitted that the private sector is too selfish and inefficient to do the work on its own, and that mitigating climate change would be impossible without the help of government research and development."
- Golden Goose Award: official site. [More...]
- "In 2012, the Golden Goose Awards’ founding organizations took up Representative Cooper’s idea and issued the first three awards to groups of researchers whose seemingly obscure, federally-funded research had led to major breakthroughs in biomedical research, medical treatments, and computing and communications technologies...."
- Golden Goose Award: Wikipedia [More...]
- "The Golden Goose Award is a United States award established in 2012 that officially recognizes scientists whose federally funded basic research has led to innovations or inventions which have a significant impact on humanity or society. The results have been significant health and economic benefits."
- NEW 12/05/2019: Military Spending on R and D Is a Boon for the Private Sector [More...]
- Military research spending spurs private-sector innovation and growth.
- The Entrepreneurial State: Debunking Public vs. Private Sector Myths (book) (4 links)
- This book debunks the myth of the state as market failure fixer, leaving entrepreneurship to the private sector. Case studies reveal the opposite: the private sector follows the state's bold, high-risk investments.
No quotations found in this category.