For all he ranted about "loafers" and the welfare state, Heinlein fed from the government trough for his entire life. A great writer of fiction (widely praised) whose wide-ranging political ideas made interesting stories. However, his political ideas were also entirely unrealistic.
- A Famous Science Fiction Writer's Descent Into Libertarian Madness [More...]
- On Robert Heinlein: "Later in life, as a libertarian, he would rail against “loafers” and the welfare state but in his leftist days he knew how much he depended on the government."
- Elon Musk Isn’t All He’s Cracked Up to Be [More...]
- Elon Musk suggests the typical Robert Heinlein Science Fiction solution of special people running away from problems, leaving everybody else stuck with them.
- Jeet Heer on Robert A. Heinlein's Navy Disability Pension [More...]
- Heinlein was able to reinvent himself several times as a graduate student, miner, architect and writer thanks to security of having a Navy pension at age 27.
- The Moon Is a Harsh Mistress (book)
- (1966) One of the finest SF novels ever written. But the high levels of detail about a libertarian society fail to make such a society plausible, and it suffers badly from the "we don't give a hoot about other people's problems so we blame them" aspect of libertarianism.
No quotations found in this category.