A libertarian congressman (and perennial long-shot presidential candidate) renowned for kooky racist, isolationist, goldbug and Austrian beliefs. Not to mention conservative civil and reproductive rights ideas 50 years out of date. Father of senator Rand Paul. AKA: "Crazy Uncle Liberty".
- G.O.P. Monetary Madness [More...]
- Paul Krugman points out how incredibly wrong the predictions of Ron Paul and Austrian Economics have been about the tripling of the monetary base.
- Hard to Handle [More...]
- "To paraphrase a line once used about Malcolm X and the 50s and 60s era Nation Islam, Ron Paul may not like white nationalism, but white nationalism sure likes Ron Paul."
- How Did We Get Here? Or, Why Do 20 Year Old Newsletters Matter So Damn Much? [More...]
- Steve Horwitz denounces the paleolibertarian strategy of Ron Paul, Lew Rockwell and Murray Rothbard. "What the media has in their hands is only the tip of the iceberg of the really unsavory garbage that the paleo turn produced back then."
- Libertarian Cowards Run from Own Words [More...]
- "Only when he and his backers find the courage to appeal to Whites as Whites, rather than as individuals, will Ron Paul’s numbers climb into the double digits.”
- Libertarians: Call Them Irresponsible [More...]
- Ron Paul as a lesson in libertarian public irresponsibility.
- Nullification, Neo-Confederates, and the Revenge of the old Right [More...]
- "Behind the recent surge of nullification bills in state legislatures there is an ongoing battle for the soul of the GOP—and the future of the union itself. The nullification movement’s ideology is rooted in reverence for states’ rights and a theocratic and neo-Confederate interpretation of U.S. history. And Ron Paul, who is often portrayed as a libertarian, is the engine behind the movement."
- One-Sided Delusions of a Libertarian [More...]
- "Shorter Ron Paul: Property Rights Superior to Civil Rights" Why Ron Paul would allow private segregation.
- Ron Paul (RationalWiki) [More...]
- "Now, there is general irony about the fact that a person who is anti-government is working for the government at all, but with Paul it gets a little... deeper."
- Ron Paul and Cranky Libertarianism [More...]
- Libertarians disregard empirical evidence against the programs they espouse, just as Marxists and others do. This makes them cranks.
- Ron Paul Calls on United Nations to Confiscate Domain Names of His Supporters [More...]
- Ron Paul filed an international UDRP complaint against RonPaul.com and RonPaul.org with WIPO, a global governing body that is an agency of the United Nations. The complaint calls on the agency to expropriate the two domain names from his supporters without compensation and hand them over to Ron Paul.
- Ron Paul Is Against Social Security Even While He Is For It [More...]
- Ron Paul is collecting Social Security even while denouncing it.
- Ron Paul Wants to Abolish the CIA; His Largest Donor Builds Toys for It [More...]
- Billionaire Peter Thiel, who has contributed millions to Ron Paul's Super Pac, describes himself as an opponent of democracy. He is a seriously creepy right-wing nutjob.
- Ron Paul’s Campaign Manager Died Sick and Uninsured, the Way ‘Freedom’ Allows [More...]
- Ron Paul cried cocodile tears for his campaign manager's death due to lack of health insurance that he should have provided.
- That's what freedom is all about: taking your own risks. [More...]
- Kent Snyder, Ron Paul's former campaign chairman, was young and uninsured. He died leaving $400,000 in hospital costs to his mother, who was incapable of paying. He fought for the "right" to inadequate care, placing burdens on charities, his social network and hospitals.
- The Coronavirus Hoax [More...]
- Crazy Uncle Liberty Ron Paul drinks the denialist Kool-Aid again, and presents another batshit screed that will contribute to increasing deaths. This is as foolish as Ayn Rand denying the harms of cigarettes, because he and his audience are at higher risk of death. He obviously does not understand epidemiology or geometric increase.
- The liberty of local bullies [More...]
- Noah Smith points out how libertarians are oblivious to commonplace coercion that isn't from government. Which makes it a favorite of local bullies who wish blessings upon their bullying.
- TNR Exclusive: A Collection of Ron Paulâ€™s Most Incendiary Newsletters [More...]
- Some especially inflammatory passages from the Ron Paul Political Report.
- TNR Exclusive: More Selections From Ron Paulâ€™s Newsletters [More...]
- Three pages of snippets illustrating bigoted and conspiratorial thinking.
- To Get Ron Pauls Insanity, You Have To Understand Libertarianism [More...]
- Don Feder, a former libertarian now conservative, explains the numerous failings of Ron Paul.
- United Nations Tells Ron Paul To Shove His Lawsuit Right Up His Ass [More...]
- "Last we checked, Ron Paul had filed a lawsuit with the World Intellectual Property Organization (an agency of the UN, which he HATES) in an attempt to expropriate both RonPaul.com and RonPaul.org from his supporters. So how'd that all turn out for Paul? Not so well."
- Waiting for the Day When We Can Say We are All Austrians: Ron Pauls Brand of Libertarianism [More...]
- Ron Paul's ties to theocratic libertarianism, Christian Reconstructionism, Neo-Confederates, the Ludwig von Mises Institute, the Constitution Party, Conservative Caucus, and the John Birch Society. Anyone who thinks he is a "social liberal" needs to understand that he wants STATES to be conservative, not the federal government.
- What Does Ron Paul Stand For? [More...]
- Bob Cesca lists "a wide variety of utterly horrific positions spanning nearly the entire spectrum of public policy -- positions that would cause significant harm, damage and destruction to the economy, to women, to minorities and to nearly everything progressives value."
- Where did Donald Trump get his racialized rhetoric? From libertarians. [More...]
- A brief overview of the history of nakedly racist Rothbardian paleolibertarianism and and his fellow travellers. These ideas have been adopted wholesale by Donald Trump.
- Why I fled libertarianism -- and became a liberal [More...]
- "I don’t think regular Americans have any idea just how crazy libertarians can be."
- Yeah, Ron Paul Is Racist After All, Sorry [More...]
- Yet more confirmation of Ron Paul's racist politics, this time from hacking by Anonymous.
One cannot overstate the childishness of the ideas that feed and stir the masses. Real ideas must as a rule be simplified to the level of a child's understanding if they are to arouse the masses to historic actions. A childish illusion, fixed in the minds of all children born in a certain decade and hammered home for four years, can easily reappear as a deadly serious political ideology twenty years later.
Sebastian Haffner, "Defying Hitler: A Memoir", pg. 17.
From one of Paul’s newsletters: "Justice Brandeis said that the most important Constitutional right the Founding Fathers gave us was the 'right to be left alone.'” While traditional conservatives reject this right to privacy that Brandeis proposed in an early legal paper and much later Supreme Court dissent, libertarians love to cite it. Timothy McVeigh did so at his trial. Ignore for today that Brandeis as a crusading social advocate and firm believer in government regulation of private enterprise, represented in his intellect and public career nearly everything the libertarian disavows. Overlook that Brandeis wrote “let” alone, not “left” alone, and that one could tease out a treatise on a subtle and profound distinction, accordingly, between uninterfered with and isolated.
A. Jay Adler, "Libertarians: Call Them Irresponsible"
What is the essence of libertarian crankiness? One can rhetorically and philosophically elevate the core expression by articulating it as a fundamental distrust of centralized government, or belief in an original, natural and unfettered personal liberty, but the cranky expression of the same ideas is “leave me the fuck alone.” I do not mean to diminish the feeling by going so basic on us. Any strong personality accustomed by individual nature to going his own way as he determines that way best to be, among whom I will tell you I number, will know the feeling of “leave me the fuck alone.” One has to be clear, though, that that is a feeling and not a philosophy.
A. Jay Adler, "Ron Paul and Cranky Libertarianism"
Libertarians think they own the word “freedom,” but it’s a word that often obfuscates more than enlightens. If you believe the Johann Wolfgang von Goethe quote “None are more hopelessly enslaved than those who falsely believe they are free,” then libertarians live in a prison of their own ideology.
Edwin Lyngar, "Why I fled libertarianism -- and became a liberal"