Think-Tanks In General
A very few think-tanks are non-ideological and attempt to solve problems. The vast majority are ideological propaganda organs that spew the bullshit their donors pay for.
Major think-tanks are covered in Organizations. The minor ones and general articles are here.
- Derp (3 links)
- A determined belief in some doctrine that is completely unmovable by evidence.
- Foreign Powers Buy Influence at Think Tanks [More...]
- "More than a dozen prominent Washington research groups have received tens of millions of dollars from foreign governments in recent years while pushing United States government officials to adopt policies that often reflect the donors’ priorities, an investigation by The New York Times has found."
- Merchants of Policy [More...]
- Shanu Athiparambath's personal story of the corruption and cynicism of Indian libertarian think-tanks.
- Think Tank Watch [More...]
- Documents some of the global free-market think tank movement. Excellent links to resources.
There are just a lot of people out there exerting significant influence over the political debate who are totally unqualified. The dilemma is especially acute in the political economic field, where wealthy right-wingers have pumped so much money to subsidize the field of pro-rich people polemics that the demand for competent defenders of letting rich people keep as much of their money as possible vastly outstrips the supply. Hence the intellectual marketplace for arguments that we should tax rich people less is glutted with hackery.
Jonathan Chait, "Why I’m So Mean"